At Templefield Lower School, we aim to deliver a Science curriculum that is hands on, practical and investigative. All learning will be linked to the National Curriculum and there will be cross-curricular links made across the school. All teachers will provide a wealth of subject specific skills to the children that they are teaching by asking higher order thinking questions and providing time for good quality learning. Through Science lessons, we will enhance children’s cultural capital by providing them with a range of experiences.
At Templefied Lower School, we believe that a clear and comprehensive scheme of work, taught in line with the National Curriculum, should show good progression across all key stages within Working Scientifically, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Scientific attainment will be assessed each half term through related topic assessment tasks. Our whole school approach to teaching Science includes:
- Providing access to key language and meanings in order for children to understand and readily apply to their written, mathematical and verbal communication.
- Using a range of resources to develop knowledge and understanding that is integral to children’s learning and develop their understanding of working scientifically.
- Practical investigative opportunities.
- Reflection on previous learning and cross curricular links that enable children to link ideas together.
- Opportunities for children to ask questions and become enquiry based learners.
- A school wide Science Week in March every year to celebrate the important of Science.
- Whole school assemblies across the year that have a Science focus.
Our pupils will develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to achieve age related expectations in Science at the end of their cohort year. They will retain knowledge that is pertinent to Science with a real life context, through working collaboratively with their peers and practically investigating given situations. Children will be able to explain the process they have taken and be able to reason scientifically.
Useful Science websites
Please click on the links below.